Being able to quickly identify, track down, and monitor payments are critical components to make sure you're receiving the money your company is due. FieldEdge provides reports and methods to ensure your payments are where they need to be. The following guides help identify payments and also provide guidance on what you can do in the event you're unable to find a particular payment.
- Viewing FieldEdge Payments Report
- Configuring FieldEdge's Exported Payment Data
- Tracking Payments in Virtual Terminal
- Clearent and FieldEdge Linked Fields
- Troubleshooting Missing Payments
Viewing FieldEdge Payments Report
With the Payment Report open, you will need to make a quick adjustment to some of the filters. This will help you quickly identify Clearent specific payments.
Note: This guide is intended for helping with reporting and reconciling, which means we will take a few extra steps in some areas so that the overall reconciliation process is fluid.
First, we need to navigate to the Payments Reports. This is done by clicking on Reports on the left menu in FieldEdge, selecting the Work Order Reports in the Interactive Reports section, and then choosing the Payments Reports. With the Payments Reports on screen, the next steps will configure this report to help you better interpret the data.
Optional: If using Business Unit(s), make sure they are set to (All Business Units) on this screen.
1. Click into the Entry Type field and select the Clearent option(s) and click Apply.
Reporting Credit Cards Transactions:
- Entry Type: Select Clearent Auto and Clearent Scan
- Payment Method: Select any Credit Card method
Reporting Checks / ACH Transactions:
- Entry Type: Select Clearent Manual
- Payment Method: Select Check method
2. Select the date filter and choose a range that you wish to report, then click Apply.
3. With the report configured, we are now armed with a list of FieldEdge payments that will in most cases, be listed in Clearent and QuickBooks. For the purpose of reconciling against Clearent or QuickBooks, we will want to export this list. Choose the Export button in the top right.
Note: Exporting is not required if you are simply looking for a particular payment in FieldEdge. If you are not reconciling against Clearent or QuickBooks, this will conclude our guide on how to look up payments in FieldEdge.
Configuring FieldEdge's Exported Payment Data
In order to easily reconcile data between FieldEdge, Clearent, and QuickBooks, it is encouraged to export the Payments Reports from FieldEdge. The following guide will help organize this data so that it's easier to compare against Clearent or QuickBooks.
Note: If you do not already have exported payment report information downloaded and opened in Excel, refer to the previous guide, Viewing FieldEdge Payments Report, to learn how to obtain this information.
1. Open the exported data in Microsoft Excel.
2. In Excel, freeze, the first row of cells. This can be done by selecting the View tab on the top ribbon, and then selecting the Freeze Top Row option from the Freeze Panes drop down.
3. Next sort the Payment Date by Newest to Oldest. This can be done by selecting the Sort & Filter button, of the Home tab, selecting Custom Sort, and then specify the Payment Date Column, and the Newest to Oldest Order and click OK.
Upon sorting the data, you are now prepared to easily compare this data against Clearent or QuickBooks. If reconciling, the next guide will help configure your Clearent data.
Tracking Payments in Virtual Terminal
1. In Virtual Terminal, select the Transactions tab.
2. Select the appropriate Terminal, (Swipe) or (Manual).
3. Next, specify if you're looking for Card Transactions or ACH Transactions.
4. Click into the Date filter and choose one of the selections. If searching for a Card Transaction, you may specify a Custom Date range.
5. We now want to add columns to the report. Click the Choose Columns button and choose the Order ID and Customer ID options and then click the Search button.
Note: Each Terminal will save your column selections, so you should only have to configure these once.
With the report configured, you will now be able to search for specific payments. If reconciling between Clearent and FieldEdge, the following fields are linked and therefore should be visible in both programs.
Clearent and FieldEdge Linked Fields
Example: If Clearent has an Order ID: WO124, then FieldEdge will have a WO#/Agrmt#: WO124.
- Clearent Order ID = FieldEdge WO#/Agrmt#
- Clearent Customer ID = FieldEdge Customer's Location
- Clearent Auth Code = FieldEdge Authorization #
Troubleshooting Missing Payments
What if a Payment appears in Virtual Terminal and not FieldEdge?
Does the Payment have an Order ID? No
If there is no Order ID in Virtual Terminal, this is likely because the payment in question was directly received in Virtual Terminal.
You may resolve this by creating an Invoice in FieldEdge, providing a Non-Inventory Item with a price matching the payment required, and then receive a payment by selecting the payment method and manually assigning the Authorization number that was in Virtual Terminal, then click Save.
This may be resolved by creating an Invoice for the Amount in Virtual Terminal, applying a Credit Card Payment, and manually entering the Auth Code from Virtual Terminal as the Authorization #.
Note: Do not charge the Credit Card again. You need only assign a credit card type matching the Customer's Credit Card, the payment, and the Authorization #.
Once saved, there is no further action required in this scenario.
Does the Payment have an Order ID? Yes
If there is an Order ID then we will want to use the Auth Code from Virtual Terminal to search in FieldEdge to find the Invoice.
In FieldEdge, click on the Reports button from the left menu. Choose Work Order Reports from the Interactive Reports, and then click the Payments Reports.
Click the date filter and choose the All option and click Apply. Now, enter the Auth Code from Virtual Terminal into the search field on the Payments Report. If a result is returned, you have located the Invoice and no further action is required.
What if a Payment appears in FieldEdge and not Virtual Terminal?
Verify the missing Payment is not in Virtual Terminal
If you have a Payment that is appearing in FieldEdge, but not in Virtual Terminal, the first step will be to use the information from FieldEdge and do a comprehensive search in Virtual Terminal. Even if you may have done this, it is encouraged to follow these steps once more, as we offer a few lesser known steps to tracking down payments.
- If the Payment is located, no further action is required.
3. If Payment is still not found, keep in mind that Virtual Terminal has two Terminals and each Terminal has two tabs (Card Transactions and ACH Transactions). Try searching in the the different available locations.
4. Lastly, if still unable to locate the Payment, then we can manually enter the payment directly into Virtual Terminal.
Note: Once the Payment has been added to Virtual Terminal, no further action is required. Keep in mind this will not be reflected in FieldEdge.